Hino Valke Under 20 vs Griquas Under 20

The Hino Valke Under 20 team played their second game in round two in the Under 20 Currie Cup Championship on Saturday the 12th of August away against the Griquas’ Under 20 team at Tafel Lager Park in Kimberley.

The Griquas enthralled the early pressure from the Hino Valke and scored an early converted try from turnover ball.

The Hino Valke soon found themselves with their back against the wall after a yellow card lead to another converted try for the Griquas which gave them a lead of 14 points with 15 minutes to go in the first half.

However with assured determination from the Hino Valke they went on to score a converted try with 15 minutes left in the first half before going on to score another converted try with only 5 minutes left in the first half tying up the scores at 14 points all at half time.

The second half was set to continue where the Hino Valke left off and they were soon rewarded with another unconverted try and successful penalty goal before another bonus point unconverted try giving the Hino Valke a well-deserved lead of 27 points to 14 with around 14 minutes to go.

This lead was unfortunately short lived as the Hino Valke got another unfortunate yellow card with 10 minute to go in the second half which saw the Griquas go on to score a converted try followed by another soon after giving them a one point lead with two minutes to go.

The Hino Valke kicked off with a minute to go and got a penalty soon after and opted to kick for goal, this was unfortunately unsuccessful and gave Griquas the one point win against the run of play winning 28 – 27.

On the day the Hino Valke definitely missed their usual players as they had 5 new starting players for this match due to injuries from the physical encounter against the Steval Pumas the week before.

The Hino Valke coaching staff led by Arno Kilian felt that they never should have lost the game and that the two early tries scored by Griquas and then the two yellow cards followed by the missed conversions and penalty goals cost them the game at the end of the day.

The Hino Valke still remains in contention for the semi-finals where only the top four teams will be competing further in the competition as another two log points were added to the current log out of the encounter.

The Hino Valke’s following home game is against Border in two weeks’ time and will take place at home on Saturday the 26th of August at Barnard Stadium in Kempton Park.

Share Now